This is Part 1 of my hair updates.
I took the box braids out that I had gotten during my Spring Break trip to Ghana. I noticed that the braids were super easy to take down and more importantly, my natural hair was extremely soft and stretched.
I finger dentangled and there was minimal shedding.
I immediately added the bentonite clay mixture I made earlier in the day which consisted of Aztec Bentonite Clay, water, one capful of organic ACV, one tablespoon of V05 moisture milk conditioner and a few globs of Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
The texture was creamy and easy to apply. I used it to clarify and condition my curls. After allowing it to sit for 30 minutes, I rinsed in 4 sections immediately followed up with Tresseme Moisture Rich conditioner. I let the conditioner sit for about 20 min. After rinsing, I realized my hair still had some clay in it😟 so I added more conditioner and gently massaged my scalp to remove any residual clay.
My curls were shiny, clumped and defined.
I wanted to keep my styling session simple. I decided to use a Shea moisture leave in conditioner with their new dentangler/moisturizer and my beloved coconut oil. Following the LCO method instead of the LOC method, I applied the these products lightly to each of the four sections. I then twisted my hair in medium twists with just a little bit of Eco styler gel.
I DIDNT USE A COMB AT ALL FOR ANY OF THESE STEPS.
I’ve never completely abandoned my wide tooth comb but today my hair was so well behaved and my fingers easily removed any tangles.
What I learned:
– Dusting my ends and using the search and destroy method prior to these braids really helped my hair thrive
– Proper cleansing and conditioning before getting the braids helped keep my coils hydrated
– The natural African Shea butter is an amazing sealer and locked the moisture into my hair even for 2 months while my hair was braided up.
– My hair really responded well to the bentonite clay
– LCO makes more sense for my low porosity hair
T- I no longer need to use a lot of product to achieve moisture. Less product also speeds up my drying time bc product isn’t just sitting on top on my strands.
– My hair is growing consistently despite the deceiving shrinkage I have.